Master Gardener Programme
Volunteer Master Gardeners offer food growing advice to local people and communities. Volunteers are fully trained and supported by Garden Organic, the UK's leading organic growing charity. This three-year pilot programme is funded by the Big Lottery Fund's Local Food scheme, Sheepdrove Trust and local authorities in four areas: Warwickshire, Islington, South London and Norfolk. We aim to develop and sustain these programme areas and more nationally to follow the success of Garden Organic's Master Composter network. Visit Master Gardener website
Master Gardener role
- Promote food growing to the community, eg through events, talks, articles, community groups, schools - and other innovative ways to bring people together.
- Regularly support 10 householders just beginning to grow their own food, offering seasonal advice for 12 months.
- 'Graduate' as Master Gardeners after 30 hours a year volunteering (about half a day a month). Most continue beyond.
- Feedback hours, activities, successes and problems to their local volunteer co-ordinator and website
- Who are Master Gardeners?
- Find your nearest Master Gardener?
- Latest news, events, case studies
- Contact team
More programme details
Meet our Master Gardeners