Weed reference books
There are a huge range of books available for the practical field identification of plants aimed at a wide audience. Many are not of course intended to specifically identify weeds. Below we have listed some of the general field guides that we have found useful for weed identification. Unfortunately some of the more specialised books aimed at farmers may be difficult to get although second-hand booksellers may be able to source copies.
- The Wildflower Key - Rose, F. - 1981 - Penguin Books. ISBN: 0723224196.
- Arable Plants a Field Guide - Wilson, P & King, M - 2003 - English Nature/Wildguides. ISBN: 1903657024
- New Flora of the British Isles - Stace, C. - 1997 - Cambridge University Press. 2nd Ed. ISBN: 0521589355
- Flora of the British Isles - Clapham,A.R.Tutin,T.G.and Moore,D.M. - 1990 - Cambridge University Press. ISBN: 0521389747
- Grasses: A Guide to Their Structure, Identification, Uses and Distribution in the British Isles. - Hubbard, C.E & Hubbard, J.C.E (Editor) 1988 Penguin Press Science. ISBN: 0140132279
- ADAS Colour Atlas of Weed Seedlings. - Williams,J.B & Morrison, J.R - 1987 - Mosby-Wolfe ISBN: 0723409293
- The Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe. - Fitter,A.,Fitter,R.and Blamey,M. - 1996 - HarperCollins. 5th Ed. ISBN: 0002200627.
- Field Guide to the Wild Flowers of Britain. - Press, J.R., Sutton, D.A. and Tebbs, B.R. Readers Digest Association Ltd., London. Printed 2002. 447 pages. ISBN 0 276 42506 5
- The Photographic Guide to Identity Garden and Field Weeds. - Roger Phillips.Elm Tree Books London. ISBN 0 241 11755 0. 160 pages.
- Weed Guide. An expert guide to arable weeds and weed control. Produced by Bayer Crop Science. 88 pages. (contains good pictures for identification but also a lot of advice about herbicides).
Please feel free to tell us below of any reference books that you find particularly useful.