First Steps in Organic Growing Workshop
Growing your own food seems to be more popular than ever, but if you have never grown anything before, knowing where to start can seem overwhelming.
Most people set out wanting to grow healthy food using natural processes, so we will provide you with all the guidance you need to do this.
This workshop has plenty of hands-on activities including seed sowing, pricking out your seedlings, potting on, preparing a seedbed, sowing seeds outside, and planting plants outside.
You'll have the opportunity to sow a few tried and tested examples of seed to give you a sound start on your organic journey. These activities will take place from within our outdoor classroom and will be supported with lots of practical tips to give you success with your growing.
- Getting plants started, a practical workshop including choice of compost, how to sow different types of seeds, raising healthy plants, pricking out
- Consideration of different materials and methods for soil preparation
- Practical exercise in direct seed sowing outside to ensure optimum germination
- Methods to protect plants without using chemicals including barriers, attractant plants, the timing of planting
- Worked examples of easy food plants to try in your garden
- An introduction to container growing including choice of plants, compost, and plant feeds
- The workshop will include a tour of our organic demonstration garden - you can read more about our organic demonstration garden here.
Skill level: Beginners
About your course Leader: Anton Rosenfeld
Anton has been with Garden Organic for over 15 years. His work has ranged from projects with commercial field-scale growers to small-scale community gardens and allotments. He regularly writes for Grow Your Own and Kitchen Garden magazine and has a passion for soils, composting, and growing veg from a wide range of cultures.
Our workshop will have an informal, relaxed learning environment with plenty of opportunities for interaction. We will also provide a full set of notes and handouts in advance.
We look forward to welcoming you.