What do our volunteer gardeners contribute?
Working as part of a team, our volunteer gardeners contribute to the maintenance and development of our flagship organic gardens at Ryton, which serve to inspire and educate visitors. They also provide a friendly face for visitors to the garden, answering any questions they may have.
What’s in it for you?
- Becoming part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Meeting people from all walks of life
- Getting your hands dirty and enjoying the great outdoors
- Developing your own organic gardening knowledge and skills
Tasks can be variable depending on the season, needs of the garden and weather and can include:
- Helping with the general up keep of the gardens including:
- Seed sowing, Propagation, nursery work, planting out
- Weeding, deadheading and general care of beds and borders
- Pruning and care of shrubs and trees
- Grass cutting and edging
- Maintaining good Health and Safety practices
- Helping to maintain clear signs and labels around the gardens to educate and inform visitors
- Answering questions from visitors
- Giving the gardening team any other assistance that may be needed
This role will suit people who:
- Have some experience and knowledge of organic gardening and a desire to learn more (unfortunately we are unable to support complete novices at present)
- Have good communication and listening skills
- Have a cheerful demeanour and enjoy working as part of a team
- Are reasonably fit and willing to work out of doors in all weathers
- Have a positive, organised and flexible approach to work
- Are looking for experience with a view to pursuing a career in horticulture
Volunteers are asked to wear sturdy boots and bring weather appropriate clothing.
For further information and an application pack please contact Debi Maltby or Eszter Kovacs.
Debi Maltby, HR Officer Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 024 7630 8237
Eszter Kovacs, Gardens Manager Email: email@example.com Tel: 024 7630 8208
Postal address: Ryton Organic Gardens, Wolston Lane, Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Coventry, CV8 3LG