What do our volunteer gardeners contribute?
Working as part of a team, our volunteer gardeners contribute to the maintenance and development of our flagship organic gardens at Ryton, which serve to inspire and educate visitors. They also provide a friendly face for visitors to the garden, answering any questions they may have.
What’s in it for you?
- Becoming part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Meeting people from all walks of life
- Getting your hands dirty and enjoying the great outdoors
- Developing your own organic gardening knowledge and skills
Tasks can be variable depending on the season, needs of the garden and weather and can include:
- Helping with the general up keep of the gardens including:
- Seed sowing, Propagation, nursery work, planting out
- Weeding, deadheading and general care of beds and borders
- Pruning and care of shrubs and trees
- Grass cutting and edging
- Maintaining good Health and Safety practices
- Helping to maintain clear signs and labels around the gardens to educate and inform visitors
- Answering questions from visitors
- Giving the gardening team any other assistance that may be needed
This role will suit people who:
- Have some experience and knowledge of organic gardening and a desire to learn more (unfortunately we are unable to support complete novices at present)
- Have good communication and listening skills
- Have a cheerful demeanour and enjoy working as part of a team
- Are reasonably fit and willing to work out of doors in all weathers
- Have a positive, organised and flexible approach to work
- Are looking for experience with a view to pursuing a career in horticulture
Volunteers are asked to wear sturdy boots and bring weather appropriate clothing.
For further information and an application pack please contact our Human Resources Department:
Email: email@example.com Tel: 024 7630 3517
Postal address: Ryton Organic Gardens, Wolston Lane, Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Coventry, CV8 3LG