Unless you have psychic powers to predict how your growing season will go, you often end up with a glut. Once you’ve created curries, chutneys and inundated your neighbours with your much-loved produce, what can you do with what you have left?
With Halloween on its way, pumpkins are popping up everywhere. Not only are they super nutritious for you on the inside, but these colourful cucurbits also have a lot to offer your skin on the outside. Pumpkins are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which can boost your skin’s collagen production and soothe dry skin.
Our friends at Conscious Skincare have provided a couple of quick and easy pumpkin skincare recipes you can make at home. All you need are a few basics from your cupboard.
Pumpkin Face Mask
- You’ll need around 75g of pumpkin flesh, peeled, and chopped into small pieces.
- Boil until soft and then puree using a hand blender or fork.
- Add a drizzle of honey if you have dry skin or for oily skin add a splash of cider vinegar. For skin brightening, add a squeeze of lemon.
- Mix well until everything is blended into a smooth paste.
- Using the back of a clean spoon, apply a thin layer to your face, avoiding eyes, nostrils, and mouth. Relax for 15 minutes and let the pumpkin work its magic. Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
Pumpkin Face Scrub
- Follow the first two steps above.
- Add two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or any good quality food grade oil, a handful of porridge oats or two teaspoons of sugar. Then add ½tsp of ground cinnamon and mix well. Scoop some scrub and apply using light circular movements.
- For both the mask and the scrub, use them straight-away or they can be kept in the fridge until ready to use for up to two days.
About Conscious Skincare
Conscious Skincare design and create award-winning organic skincare products on the beautiful west coast of Wales. They use many familiar herbs and plant extracts such as rosemary, sage, lavender, and comfrey in their unique blends. These natural ingredients offer soothing, calming, replenishing benefits and together with organic cold pressed oils, rich in vitamins and minerals, help them create nourishing superfoods for your skin. Explore their plant-based range at Conscious Skincare, which includes facial care, gifts and refills. Plus, get 15% off your order with code OW15 at checkout.