Please can you recommend an apricot tree for a sheltered London garden, and where to buy from?
Apricots need shelter from frost when in flower, so trained against a warm wall is an ideal situation. Some recommended cultivars for your situation are:
- Aprigold - Genetic dwarf, ideal for pot culture which produces full-sized fruit
- Flavorcot - frost tolerant and fruiting later, smaller orange fruit
- Golden Glow - found on the Malvern Hills as a seedling, very reliable cropper, healthy tree. Yellow round fruit
- Petit Muscat - Old French variety, with masses of small delicious yellow fruits: does best in sheltered site
- Tomcot - very hardy, frost resistant, mid summer. Large fruit with red blush, excellent cropper. Grown for commercial fruit production in Kent
Garden Organic members can view our factsheet Fruit tree/bush suppliers for a list of fruit tree suppliers.