Working as part of a team, our HSL volunteer gardeners contribute to the maintenance and development of our flagship Heritage Seed gardens at Ryton, which serve to inspire and educate visitors. They also provide a friendly face for visitors to the garden, answering any questions they may have.
Ryton Gardens lies at the heart of our work to promote organic gardening, offering volunteers the chance to make a real contribution in a beautiful and unique setting. In Looking after the HSL grow out area and display gardens you will develop your own knowledge and skills whilst helping to spread the organic message to visitors.
Simply enjoy the company of a friendly group of like-minded gardeners, or use your time with us as a stepping stone into work or college.
Volunteers get the chance to:
- Become part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Meet people from all walks of life
- Get your hands dirty and enjoying the great outdoors
- Develop your own organic gardening knowledge and skills
Other benefits include:
- Full induction to Garden Organic
- Appropriate support and supervision
- Relevant on the job training
- Task appropriate personal protective equipment
- Reasonable travel expenses
- Membership of Garden Organic*
This role will suit people who:
- Have some experience and knowledge of organic gardening and a desire to learn more
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Are willing to work out of doors in all weathers and undertake physical tasks such as compost turning and digging over beds
- Have a careful, consistent and flexible approach to work
- Are happy to work unsupervised from time to time
- Have good communication and listening skills
Working as part of a team of friendly staff and volunteers you will participate in the maintenance of the HSL Grow Out area and Display Garden. Tasks can be variable depending on the season and weather and can include:
- Assisting with planting, staking, weeding, pollinating and harvesting of seed.
- Assisting in seed cleaning and packing of seed.
Become a Heritage Seed Library volunteer
Join our Heritage Seed Library volunteers to contribute to the conservation work at our flagship Heritage Seed gardens at Ryton. Find out more about the role and sign up to volunteer with us.